Tuesday, 13 November 2012

The mind chatter

 Some of you might not know what a mind chatter is, but what I can promise is that all of us have experience it. Some of you are experiencing it in this really moment. To be more precise we can explain the mind chatter as that a voice from inside that never, never, never stops.
For example imagine you are on a date and your partner is talking about something less interesting for your, or maybe you just had a busy day at work and you can not follow.Your body language shows that you are listening, meanwhile your mind is building a bridge of ideas, and not a wooden one but a steel one and the noise is unbearable. You hear things like : I don't actually know what I am doing here¨- or,- he is so boring, but the restaurant is good so  I think I might order a steak...am I wearing the right outfit. 

http://www.dadara.nl/paintings-and-drawings/guantanamo-brain#26Now that you got the point let's go down the road and imagine your mind as a parallel universe in which things happen hundred times faster, an universe in which the same voice can enter different ears, transmitting different signals at a distance of less then 2 seconds. Like ten radios tight up to a single pillar in the center of the busiest market presenting bad news that will affect the population of that city straight away.The radios will be on for not more then 5 minutes. Can you imagine that? Can you imagine the chaos in that market, the expressions on their faces, all the fears that were brought to life?
http://www.dadara.nl/paintings-and-drawings/guantanamo-brain#26Exactly like the radios, the mind chatter makes us worry when there's no need, makes us doubt ourselves when we should feel confident, it makes us feel the fear and we all know that fear is the most damaging feeling. 
The mind chatter can't be stopped unless you are a Buddhist monk with years of meditation experience. But there is something that we can do. We can redirect our thoughts and make them positive. We can meditate over a single idea. We can train our mind to talk and to listen, we can draw a path to follow. Is like when we were in school and we learned to rephrase. The principle is the same, if the thought is negative repeat it until it becomes positive. Try not to use negative signs, instead of saying: I hope it won't rain today say I hope it will be a sunny day today.
Meditation is the key in order to control your mind. Stay quite and listen to your thoughts. Thoughts are like signals, and bad thoughts are like gossip, they travel fast. Positive thoughts are like plants, they are beautiful but if you don't nurture them they will die fast.
Do not be afraid to stay alone and listen to your thoughts!

As Confucius says : Action should be taken before a thing has made its appearance; order should be secured before disorder has begun.

Stay positive!
W.P 

0 comments:

Post a Comment